When I started thinking about the trailer for the second book in THE ELITE series IN TOO DEEP, which will be released in early January BTW, I cruised the Net relentlessly looking for someone who could not only get the job done, but who could also create a completely kick-ass trailer that would knock readers off their stilettos in the process . . . When I found Madison Meyer and M2 Productions, the search come to a screeching halt. This girl is TALENTED–not to mention inventive, resourceful, and mature way beyond her years. Did I mention that she’s 17? Or that her name’s MADISON, which just HAPPENS to be the name of one of the main characters in THE ELITE? Or that she creates book trailers that will literally stop you in your tracks? Well, she does. And after she fashioned the PERFECT trailer for IN TOO DEEP, which will be premiering on THE STORY SIREN in October, I knew that I had to find out more about this amazing, fabulous teen.
So, without further ado, I give you the uber-talented Madison Meyer!
Name: Madison Meyer
Occupation: Library Clerk and Video Editor
1. So how did you get into making book trailers?
– It’s actually a funny story. I’d been reading A LOT of books during the summer of 2007 and I really wanted some of them to be movies. So I hopped on my computer and found a cheap editing program called Windows Movie Maker. It the really basic and easy to learn on. Anyway, I eventually managed to get a video finished and uploaded to YouTube. It grew in popularity, and before long the author noticed it and LOVED it. I owe everything to her– she’s the one who suggested I start charging. She offered me a job making a video for her next book… I was so excited!
After that a few more authors began emailing me, asking for their own videos. And that’s how it all began!
2. What’s your favorite snack while you’re working
hard on a trailer?
– Ooohh… cucumbers. And pop tarts. Not together of course. 😀
3. Out of all the trailers you’ve done so far, which
one is your personal favorite and why?
– Well it’s a really hard choice, because I won’t be finished with a video until I really like it.
I’d have to say “The Reality Twist Series” by Tammy M. Yourzek was an AMAZING experience. I really started using more of my editing abilities.
Another favorite is an old classic from when I first started. It’s called “Tips on Having a Gay (Ex) Boyfriend” by Carrie Jones. I LOVED THIS BOOK. Because my editing system was so different to the one I’m using now, it isn’t the best video in my collection, but it was one of my favorites, and I think it reflects that.
And I loved making the trailer for “In Too Deep”, and NO: I’m not just saying that!
4. Is there a trailer for a book that you’d really like to do but haven’t, as yet, been asked?
– There are so many books that I would die to make a video for, but unfortunately don’t have the time. Here are just a few:
– The Mediator Series by Meg Cabot
– Pendragon Series by DJ MacHale
– The Uglies by Scott Westerfeld
5. If you could only bring 2 books to a desert island, what would they be
– Hmm… Only two? Well because it’s such a hard choice, I’d have to pick “Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows” by JK Rowling and “New Moon” by Stephanie Meyer.
6. What do you want to be when you grow up? (I’m STILL
working on this one, lol!)
– My dream job– which really isn’t that impossible at the moment, is being an editor for movie trailers. I’d cut the previews you see in movie theaters! Otherwise I’d like to further my company or work as a Librarian.
7. What is the best part about bringing books to life on the small screen?
– The best part is getting comments that say, “This book looks SO GOOD, I HAVE to read it!”. It’s great to know that my videos make such an impact. It also gives me hope that I may be able to reach my dream someday.
8. Any words for aspiring trailer designers?
– Not everyone can do what I do, and do it well. It takes A LOT of practice, and perserverance. I never had anyone there to teach me how to work my first editing program, I had to learn on my own. If it’s your passion, never give up.
9. What kind of technology do you use to make the trailers?
How fast can you create them?
– Well like I said earlier, I started out with a VERY basic editing system. As my business grew, I ended up buying a Mac, and I started editing on Final Cut Express. Text is created on LiveType, and some music is even mixed on GarageBand.
Editing a video takes me a while. It’s not something that takes an hour and you’re done for good. It really depends on how busy I may be. The fastest I’ve ever finished a video is three days. Longest would be about 4 months.
10. Do you involve your friends in the process? I notice you use some voiceovers in your trailers. Is it easy to get people to participate?
– My friends support my business, and they’re always excited to help out. So yes, it is easy to get help. I often use pictures and voiceovers of my friends in my videos. I sometimes even use my own. :]
11. Do you have a web site where authors and fans can reach
– As of right now, I’m working on getting a permanent website, where people can easily reach me. For now I have a freewebs account.
Feel free to check it out! www.freewebs.com/msquaredproductions
Also on youtube: www.youtube.com/signingupagain
Thanks so much, Maddie! And remember: IN TOO DEEP will premiere on THE STORY SIREN in October–get ready to be impressed!
*Originally posted to MySpace on 9/21/08*